An Irish drop shot is a fun, though not quite so tasty, drink for an Irish themed night or a party.
It’s pretty basic—you literally drop a shot glass full of Irish cream into a glass of Guinness. The Guinness is acidic and this acid immediately starts curdling the cream in the Irish cream…meaning you have to chug the whole thing immediately.
If you’re a fan of Guinness, you may find this extra enjoyable.
(I’m not a fan of stout beers, so this wouldn’t be my first choice. However, I end up having it now and then if we’re having a dinner party with friends.)
A couple years ago I was experimenting with filming some food videos for TikTok and Instagram, and just happened to film a video very similar to this recipe. The Irish Slammer replaces half the Irish cream with Irish whiskey. The same rule applies—drink immediately!
Irish Drop Shot
- 1 Pint glass or larger
- 1 Shot glass
- 1 can Guinness
- 1 oz Irish cream Any brand is fine, see note below for a variation
- Pour the Guinness into a pint glass. Ensure there is a bit of room left. If it's too full, take a sip or two of the Guinness to make some room.
- Pour the Irish cream into a shot glass. If the shot glass is larger than an ounce and you're feeling adventurous, you can fill up the shot glass to the top.
- Drop the shot glass (including the glass) into the pint of Guinness.
- Drink immediately. The acidity of the Guinness curdles the Irish cream, so this drink is meant to be chugged down in one go.